Recovery.
We had a parent-teacher meeting with Ian's teacher yesterday and she *raved* about him, his leadership, and his math skills. His Mental Math teacher said he's the best in the class. If there was any skepicism about Mental Math before, its has all completely dissolved. Ian is doing wonderfully, and his confidence in math is noticable.
His teacher suggested a math curriculum change, from current Math Mammoth, to Christian Light. I ordered those books today after spending yesterday "trying them out." Ian liked that he could "test out" of some of the chapters...and that motivated him to listen to the lesson in the hope that he'll acquire enough information to not have to sit and do the written work-sheets. (Whatever works, right?)
Haley's History Books arrived. We have not had the time to implement them with the Artemis Conference. Interestingly, last week was so hectic, hubby and I focused on making the Artemis Conference successful (which it was) that we let Haley monitor herself. The conference was a huge imposition on our regular schedule (Ian missed water polo and swim practice for 2 days; Haley missed fencing, and I had to reschedule harp twice; Haley missed debate club meeting; Haley missed every percent problem on her math homework - once I got around to checking it; the piano teacher practically threw her books at her because she didn't know enough of the theory for the upcoming exam; and her harp teacher wasn't pleased with her progress....). For education and enrichment for the children, its been a difficult disruption. Haley DID totally rock her speech, however. And that is an accomplishment to be proud of.
The clothes are just now getting washed. Outfits and equipment for upcoming events were just ordered today (debate requires a business suite, but Haley is a size 000 with pantyhose. Orchestra requires all black dress with long sleeves; choir requires a long black skirt with the given polo; cotillion requires "Sunday best" and then the Grand Ball (with daughter/Daddy dancing) which is black and white plus gloves, etc. And then there's the "regular" 3 piano recitals/competitions this semester plus whatever is in-store for harp. Next semester is more piano and for sure more harp).
The house was organized and cleaned just today (after having out-of-town guests with babies AND a conference)...and I am tired. But I'm happy things are back to normal.
After 3 hours of algebra work re-do; 4 hours one day and 2 hours the next of piano and theory catch-up; make-up harp lessons and 3 hours of practice; choir practice make-up; 3 hours of debate research followed by 2+ hours meeting with her team-mate with fathers present getting everything together for her upcoming team policy debate tournament; and guitar practice make-up...I think we're back on track!! I am happy for the Artemis social and professional development opportunity (and the Jack and Jill leadership conference) but now with the upcoming holidays (and lots of performances and what-not) I would like to focus on our current full plate of stuff.
I have (unintentionally) put Latin, Spanish, and vocabulary on hold. I have also decided (intentionally) to delay piano initiation for Hana (she's still too young, and the money plus the time it would take to work that in, is beyond what would reasonably "fit in" right now. And, not knowing how to read, makes learning the music difficult, and there is really no rush...so we'll focus on supplementing Hana's curriculum with BrainQuest (she is finished with her work sooner, and loves worksheets, so, why not?).
Remind me and I'll post Haley's history curriculum, and Ian's new math switch-over info.