Friday, December 19, 2014

End of Semester update - little kids

As I investigate 'college prep' for Haley, I have learned about Talented Youth Programs.  It is my intention to see if Ian (now, Hana later) qualifies.  He has taken mental math, and is quite good.  I am also going to rev up his math curriculum.  He's too young for Mathclub - but with more practice, and in time, he'll be a great addition to the club.

Ian:  The weekly schedule (sample of the last week attached) outlines the recommended curriculum.

Handwriting
Spelling
*Spelling U See supplement
*Reading comprehension
Math
*Math supplements
First Language Lessons
History - Story of the World
Science - working on astronomy/planets
Music - guitar, bass, choir
PE - swimming and splashball (waterpolo)


Hana also works her curriculum at home as shown:

Handwriting
Spelling
Phonics - Explode the Code
First Language Lesson
Reading Comprehensive
Math
*Math supplement
History - American Pioneers
Science
Music - Viola and choir
Sports - Gymnastics, afterschool PE, basketball**



*supplements added above/beyond
**upcoming will be adjusted to allow more time to focus on STEaM;  considering adding a foreign language since Hana seems to have a very good ear for languages.