Saturday, April 27, 2013
What does Haley think about going to homeschool?
Readers of this blog know the my impetus for treading down this homeschool journey was Haley. We've been blessed with great elementary school teachers so far. Yes, Haley has been in 7 schools in her 10 years on this Earth...but each move was designed to remedy a certain undesirable situation. And then, I (finally) realized...that perhaps there isn't a (traditional) school that will optimize Haley's potential in all of her ENTJ glory as a true natural born leader. (Because we know that leadership is not a desired attribute in school where conformity is expected and encouraged).
Going through the past.
First there was the hole in the wall pre-school. Very mom and pop in a traditionally decent part of town. We chose this spot because our 1st baby was going to day-care (at age 1) and this seemed to be close to a "home-like" environment. But, times change. And the "good part of town" apparently no longer included this school. After the gun-man episode, we were out.
And yes, we overcompensated by putting the (now 2 year-old) child in the most bourgeois Montessori school on the rich side of town. This school (in all of their Montessori-do-whatever-you-want-to-do splendor) left my child undisciplined and crazy-rowdy.
So the following year we decided that we like the "child centered" aspect of instruction, but with RULES and guidelines. So we went back across town to the Hippie tie-dye school where she actually thrived (although I'm not sure she actually learned anything distinctly academic which was disappointing). But that was okay because she was from ages 3 - 4)
Then we moved 400 miles north. So we used my mother to help us pay for a College Laboratory school. Haley was now a 4yo *pre-K* student and I liked the thought of it being on the college campus, and the energy student teachers bring. But, it was too expensive (and ultimately too far from home after we finally settled into our new house).
So we opted for a less expensive, very close to home, Christian school to begin kindergarten (with the thought that we'd be able to settle down here and let the kids come up thru this school). We loved this school. The teachers were great, and Haley was accepted and seemed to thrive. But, the school was only an elementary school, and there weren't any real options (practical inexpensive options) for her after she 'graduated' from this school. She stayed at this school for kindergarten and 1st grade.
With now 3 children to consider, we decided to move again to a place with lower cost of living and higher rates of pay and bountiful job options. And we chose our house because of the local Public school system. 5 stars. Exemplary. Parent involvement.
Haley stayed at this Public school for 2nd - 4th grade (the school which Ian attends and Hana will be enrolled). And this was great for her. Sure, I think she could have learned more. And I absolutely had issues with the testing situation and the teaching methods. But I felt my child is adaptable, and it's "easier" to correct minor deviations in her coursework then it is to *create* the course-work and teach it!! So homeschooling wasn't something that even made sense to me then. I realized the necessity to supplement the school curriculum, which is how Taylored Curriculum (officially) got started two years ago.
Then she switched to intermediate school for 5th grade...
And Taylored Curriculum could NOT undo all that was being done...AND then fill in the gaps of knowledge she had. And with each passing month, things got more and more crazy:
"pseudo-suicidal" friends.
blow-jobs in the boys bathroom
teachers who are always absent
excessive testing
bullying (verbally at *least*)
inadequate academic instruction
And Haley's reaction to the "new stressors" was anxiety and diminished self-confidence.
Taylored Curriculum couldn't undo these things. The only purpose school served was to occupy time. TIME (our most valuable asset). Time spent doing things that didn't matter. Time taken away from her own interests. Time taken away from family. Time taken away from academics! Time...gone. With nothing to show for it.
So I made the decision to do a new thing. I'm good at doing a new thing...and Haley is fluid and goes with the flow. So, now...on her 8th school in her 10 years here on Earth...I am optimistic that I (as her mother) can step in and together with our village, create a better 'school' for our little girl.
Haley: what do you think about me pulling you out of Public school and putting you in this university model 2 day a week homeschool hybrid situation?
Initial response was: "Then I'll be the new kid again...and have no friends."
1 week later when one "friend" disowned her, and another got sent to alternative school...
"I realize that my friends aren't really my friends. I will not miss them. I am excited to spend more time with you and Daddy...learning stuff so I'll actually be smart! It's so frustrating to me to 'feel stupid' every time I'm around similar aged children and they know things that I don't know. I think to myself 'how did they KNOW that? They've never taught that to me at my school!"
The thing is, those kids aren't learning these things at school either.
So I'm feeling pretty good about our decision right now. And as added validation, I appreciate Quinn's honest response below.
from Adventrues in Homeschooling:
Take Part: As Alice gets older, do you think you'll continue to homeschool?
Quinn: I think it is my responsibility to try my best to keep my ego out of her education. I think we have to watch her and let her watch herself and let her speak up. If she wants to be in brick and mortar schools, and it's the right thing for her to do, I would hope that I would have the sense and the grace to say, "Alright, let's get you set up."