Hana: is *ecstatic*
to be going to school! She is looking
forward to carrying her back-pack up the school ramp. She’s shared with me that it’s “her turn” to
shop for school supplies and lunch boxes.
She already knows her kindergarten teacher, because she will very likely
have the same teacher Ian had. She is
looking forward to being invited to classmates birthday parties. She wants to sit in a circle on the rug, and
raise her hand…and be *schooled*!!
So when asked, “Hana, would you like to continue learning at
home?”
(as she has been her entire time with us less 6 months of
pre-school when she first arrived here because I mistakenly thought that she’d
thrive and adjust *better* if immersed in ‘normal’ nursery-school age activities)
She promptly replied "I want to go to Public school like Haley and Ian did. I want to have friends, and go away someplace to learn new things..."
And while I am transitioning into a home-schooling advocate
as I delve further along this path, I am ALSO an advocate that traditional
public school does work just fine for some students. I feel like I (as many of my peers) did well with
(maybe in spite of) public schooling.
For some personalities, public school works better than for others.
Hana is an ENFP
who thrives in social settings, collaboration, and being around people
energizes and motivates her. It’s not
surprising that school may be a great option for her.
Ian: isn't particularly fond of going to school...but rather he endures it as a good-spirited little boy. I've carefully chosen all of his teachers based on ideals and personality (insight I gleamed from navigating the process with Haley). He's been well-matched with his teachers, and the classes are a good size (16 or 17 students). He listens, and does well. He's learning quite a bit, albeit very slowly as the presentation of information is a snail pace.
So when asked, "Ian, would you like to be homeschooled with Haley, or continue going to Public school?"
He had no prompt reply. As an ISFP, this is a typical and expected response.
After a couple of days marinating on the idea, he came to the conclusion that he doesn't have friends at school anyway (Ian is not a 'typical' rough/tumble kinda guy, and he looks at those other boys like they are all crazy when they wrestle around and hit each other with sticks). He determined he's not learning anything anyway. "Ever since I left Mrs. Irma, I haven't learned anything at school." [Mrs. Irma was amazing! Again, a well-matched teacher!]
So his conclusion was "yeah, I think it'll be better for me to be home-schooled because then I get to wake up late and learn things I like."