Pre-travel prep included acquiring the proper luggage such that each child could manage their own things. While I packed tight, and smart, I did NOT realize that the carry-on bags and purses would be weighed collectively and that weight could not exceed 20 pounds. So we had to re-shuffle (thereby totally disrupting my immaculate packing job) at the ticket check-in counter...but we managed to avoid "extra baggage fees" AND we got a free upgrade to "economy comfort" because we were so cooperative and our children were so well behaved (or maybe, in the confusion and drama the very nice clerk "forgot" to charge us). But I will say, on the way home, if we manage to save some money....I would like to upgrade again.
Ultimately we decided to fly KLM to Amsterdam (our other reasonable, non-American Airlines, non-stop option was Luthansia to Frankfurt. However, Hubby would like to make that Germany trip it's own "Northern Europe" trip in the future so we have time to actually see, and spend time in, Germany).
After leaving the house at noon, and arriving to our apartment about 10am the next morning (with time change, equals a total travel time of 9hrs in flight plus transit to/from airport, getting through customs, etc. at 5.5 hours for a grand total of travel time at 14.5 hours essentially arriving at the very BEGINNING of the day in Amsterdam!!) It took about 4 days to adjust...and 1 week to *fully* feel all adjusted (no naps, no going to be early, and no 'melt-downs' from children or the parents).