Ian is a 4th grader and is doing very well. The teacher this year runs a tight ship, and the kiddos in her class are actually a fun group (because they are well-behaved and respect her as authority). The projects have been creative. They have a specialized math teacher, and science teacher - which is nice. And the primary teacher is big on writing development, geography, and history. So his education is quite well-rounded.
Ian has no desire to change anything about his experience being a Hybrid Homeschool student. He feels "busy" enough, but has plenty of time for video games, MineCraft, and TV (his favorite things). He is an enlightened child. When I'm 'frustrated' with him (typically the "I don't wanna do it....its going to take too long..." whiny/sulky thing he does) I remind myself of HIS advice to me:
"Mommy, I will do anything you ask me to do. I understand this work is important. Just because I don't WANT to do it, it doesn't mean that I don't *understand* it's important. It doesn't mean I'm not going to do it. YOU are the Mommy, and you should just ignore my complaints and make me do what you know is best for me."
And so that's what I do....what I think is best for him.
Ian tends to stay to himself and his teachers, coaches, and tutors report very positive things
about his ability to thrive in almost any environment. Unfazed by "social distractions" but able to "work well with others," he is a great student in groups. Therefore, I think Ian is benefiting greatly from the balance we have going between group/social learning, and individual learning.

