Thursday, February 21, 2013

Pro-school. Pro supplemental curriculum.


DSC_0022
Those who know me understand I’m not anti-school.  Actually I am a proponent of school and really have no desire to “be school” to my children.  I wrote here, that in a perfect world I would like a hybrid of sorts – where there’s structure and *school* in the strict sense (with professional teachers teaching material to my child that I would have to re-learn in order to teach effectively) but offers flexibility (and decreases “fluff”) so we can maximize our time together and enjoy a home-based curriculum.

This was written some almost 2 years ago when I initially explored the possibility of home-schooling...but kinda.  
The issue I failed to consider in 2011 was…the tremendous amount of time wasted in school as the children get older.  We expect that little kids are going to “waste time” as it can be argued that that is *exactly* the sort of thing that benefits little kids the most.
However, when Haley explained that her day in intermediate school looks like the following, it got me thinking:
Start 7:45a (which is too early)
Fleks time (i.e. teacher free time so the kids “read”) until 8:30
Social studies (make-up work time) 8:30-9:30.
Recess until 10am
Social studies/language arts lesson time 10-11am
Lunch/recess 11-11:45a
Math/Science lesson 12p-1p.
The rest of the day until 2:45p consists of reading, time to do worksheets, and “co-curr” (art/music, PE, etc).

So that’s 2 hours of new lesson time per day in (reportedly) 4 subjects.  30 minutes a subject?  The rest of the time is transitions, recess, lunch, and (essentially) play time.  Sounds like glorified babysitting to me.  Which would be FINE if hubby and I weren’t home most of the time.

This got me thinking…
…I wonder if there’s a “part-time” school that condenses the academic presentation (from 10 hours over 5 days, to 10 hours over 2) and allow for flexibility in self-study that would allow an increase the utilization of our Taylored Curriculum?  Where we wouldn't be relegated to “typical” after-school hours, weekends, and school holidays…and would have the ability to better bond with our child so we can be more effective life coaches and parents?