Tuesday, February 26, 2013

The Hybrid School Application is complete


application
After days of internet research on the Hybrid School and weighing the pros/cons, and considering our alternatives we submitted an application today.
Our discussions centered around what was best for Haley.  As I mentioned, while she was an “above average” student in 5th grade, her grades and knowledge were not reflective of her intelligence.  Also, she was a bit stressed-out and her behavior was not consistent with what we know of her personality.  She didn’t really have any friends, and her peer-group acquaintances were not very supportive of her.
We discussed simply holding Haley back a year – allowing her “extra time” to “catch up” since she was 2 years younger than many in her class.  We discussed allowing her to progress to 6th grade, but then holding her back then, preventing a premature advancement to middle school.  We applied for the local Charter Academy (but the chances of her being accepted are small since we don’t live in the City). And I collected local periodicals to scour for Private Schools that might serve our purpose for Haley.
Then, I discovered the Hybrid School.  I was *instantly* intrigued.  After a couple of days of discussion with the Hubby (and after a very difficult evening whereby he expressed his disappointment in moving here, to a great local school district, only to have our child NOT utilize said school district) he agreed to consider the Hybrid School.  While I understood his concerns/disappointment…I am a “let’s not dwell on what isn’t working…” type of person.  So I was already way past him on this issue.
I completed the application that day!!
Yesterday the school was closed – but I did speak to the director via telephone.  And today, as I was preparing to drive up to the school and drop off the application...Hubby suggested we add Ian to the application!!  What?  Really?!!
No argument from me.  Even though I figure he would likely end up maintaining his presence at his current Local Public Elementary school with Hana, I *did* apply for admission into the Charter Academy for everyone (those notifications should be made soon).  But this additional (Hybrid) option for Ian is wonderful!!  I’m all about preserving options!!
***
We turned in the application for the Hybrid School for BOTH Ian and Haley.  The Director wasn’t available, but I dropped it off at the front and email confirmed that it was received.  We await an offer for a family interview….