Friday, March 8, 2013

Accepted into Hybrid School



We had an *awesome* time yesterday at The Hybrid School.  We had missed their open house late January (*just* DAYS behind the eight-ball on that one), but we made up for it at this interview.

All day we planned for the interview.  We printed the application (to have a copy to take with us).  I had to decide on attire for myself, and for the children.  We picked up the 2 kids early from school so they could come home, get a snack, relax a bit, bathe, change, and be ready to go.

I'll admit that we were a bit nervous.  It can be uncomfortable knowing someone is in your presence to evaluate you as a person, a mother...and also evaluate your children, and family!!

We arrived 15 minutes early (hoping to arrive before the end-of-school chaos and possibly catch a glipse of the school when people are present...feel the energy).

The directors were very nice and passionate about their work.  The teachers were nice.  The classrooms small.  And our two children were well-behaved and interactive.

The interview lasted about 1.5 hours.  Acutely aware that this interview is reciprocal, we asked plenty of our own questions, and shared our views/thoughts/dreams honestly with the Directors (such that an HONEST discussion can take place, so a determination of mutual benefit can be assessed by all).

After our interview (or as we were closing) they said we are "in" and the two children have a spot in their program!!

We are so excited to explore this opportunity further.  Especially since the Charter Academy isn't likely to pan out without us pouring in significant time/resources with no guarantee that the school will be better...

...and in light of local parents with children who attend Charter Academy expressing dissatisfaction with the curriculum, we're feeling quite optimistic about Hybrid School!

Also, realizing that there's a LARGER home-school component than school component, we are gearing up for a transition to "pseudo-homeschool."

***

I've spent some time online after the interview yesterday at the recommendation of the Hybrid School Director researching local support groups and online forums/discussions.  I found a few:

Horizons Homeschoolers
DFWSaFE Secular Unschooler Group
Bear Creek Interfaith Homeschooler's Network
DFW Homeschool Cafe' (and their Facebook Page)

I've also requested membership into a few others - and will update with acceptances.

One thing I love about blogging is, I can keep all of my "important" links organized and in one location (see side-bar)!!