
"ee" sound is represented by:
ee (as in need)
ea (as in read)
y (as in baby)
e_e (as in here)
It's NO WONDER that kids can't spell!
...therefore, I've been reading Reading Reflex to help me institute our remedial reading program. I'm completely done with the introduction and the "Getting Started" section, which was helpful and enlightening (albeit a bit repetitious for my taste).
While I appreciate the emphasis on recognizing and appreciating that the letter symbols represent sounds (and not vice versa), I really didn't need her to spend an entire chapter making that point. Also, I tend to not like it when authors spend an excessive amount of time explaining why their way is "right." If I didn't believe in the method...I wouldn't have purchased the book. And while I appreciate her offering an explanation (and giving some real life examples of real clinic patients and personal situations), again, an entire chapter is just too much time dedicated to this aspect - especially when I'm just eager to get to the nitty-gritty and start remediating my child(ren).
So I have *finally* arrived at Chapter 3 (and there are only 6 chapters in this 350+ page book!) - Teaching the Basic Code. There are a few "pre-tests" and "simple" exercises in this chapter that I just HAD to try out on the children. To my delight, both my 1st grader and 5th grader actually intellectually understand the crux of the premise: letters are symbols that represent sounds. And there are many symbol combinations that can represent the same sound.
And to my delight, my pre-k was able blend sounds into words!!
So now I'm going to go thru the chapter in an attempt to find a "good" starting place for both Ian and Haley (since they are the two who will undergo this homeschooling process first).